Our stretch of the month series aims to show you how to safely work on your aching or over-worked muscles through stretching. Coupled with regular massage, stretching can help warm the body up, reduce the risk of injury, and even calm you down!
This month’s muscle is: The gluteal muscle group
What does this muscle do?
The gluteal muscles are a set of three muscles that make up your buttocks. They let you extend and rotate your hip outward, and help you extend your trunk.
How can it be stretched?
- Begin in a seated position with both your legs extended out.
- Bend one leg up and cross your foot over your other leg, placing your foot on the ground.
- Twist your body towards the leg that is bent and use your opposite arm to press your leg towards your chest feeling a slight stretch.
- Maintain good posture by keeping your back straight.
- Hold for approximately 30 seconds and then repeat on the other side.